The admission staff at PCA&D is available to guide you through the application process. You will be assigned an admissions counselor, who assists in the admission process, answers questions, and processes your admission file materials. We seek to admit students who understand the value of art and a supportive environment with ample opportunities for one-on- one instruction from our faculty, are looking to engage in the professional training for a career in the visual arts, are artistically and academically prepared, and show potential for growth and exploration.
PCA&D operates on a rolling admission policy. Applicants should complete the admission process by March 1st for fall semester and December 1st for spring semester priority consideration.
Prospective students that are attending college for the first-time, transferring from another institution or international, are required to submit the following:
• APPLICATION – A completed application, along with the application fee ($40 USD for domestic students, $110 USD for international students*): Apply
• PERSONAL STATEMENT – A typed personal statement of 250-500 words that describes your reasons for choosing a visual arts education and any influences that led to this choice. Pay close attention to spelling and grammar. This can be emailed as a PDF document or mailed to your admissions counselor.
• TRANSCRIPTS – Official high school or GED transcripts. Transfer students must also submit transcripts from all colleges where coursework had been attempted or completed. High school students should be enrolled in college preparatory curriculum. We do not have a foreign language requirement.
• PORTFOLIO – Students should submit 10 – 15 pieces of recent, original artwork, including a minimum of three pieces from direct observation. Students are encouraged to submit their portfolios in-person, but digital submission options are available through the PCA&D SlideRoom. Portfolios that are submitted through the PCA&D Slideroom will be considered for review if the students has submitted an application. Applicants may request additional portfolio preparation information from the admission department.
• RECOMMENDATIONS – Two recommendation forms are required for students who have a cumulative GPA below 2.5. One form should be completed by a teacher in an academic discipline or guidance counselor; the other form must be completed by a studio art/design instructor. Forms submitted by employers are also acceptable for transfer or non-traditional students. See the following link for the downloadable PDF of our form: Recommendation Form.
• TEST SCORES – Although PCA&D does not require students to submit ACT or SAT scores, they are strongly recommended. PCA&D's College Board code is 2681. PCA&D's ACT College code is 3569.
• INTERVIEW – All students are strongly encouraged to complete an interview with an admissions counselor.
• RÉSUMÉ – Any student that has been out of high school or not enrolled at a college or university for more than six months must submit a résumé.
*International Students wishing to enter the BFA degree program at Pennsylvania College of Art & Design must have completed all of their country's primary and secondary school requirements. International applicants whose first language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam and have the results sent by the application deadline. Students must apply one year in advance of the semester they plan to enroll. International students should download our current catalog for more information (see page 8).
Please also see:
Register for Open House
Who is my Counselor?