Search the Catalog
Pennsylvania College of Art and Design’s Library circulates of a number of instructional media materials. The following items are available for check out through the library:
Digital video cable**
DVI to VGA adapter**
MacBook G4 power supply**
MacBook Pro power supply**
Mini DVI to VGA adapter**
Standard USB to Mini USB**
Cameras & Camera Accessories
35 mm camera*
Digital video camera*
Hot shoe to post adapter*
Large Instructional Equipment
CD/CD-RW/MP3/DVD player (compact)
CD player/iPod Dock
DVD/VHS player with TV
Animation light table**
Cassette recorder/player (mini)*
External storage device**
Graphic Pen Tablet**
Headphones/remote (for library TV)***
Pantone Process Color Guide**
Digital projector remote**
MacBook Pro remote**
Remote/headphones (for library TV)***
Slide projector remote**
Audio jack speakers**
Key for STUDENT CIRCULATION of Instructional Media
(Items with no * denote Faculty Use Only)
* Off-campus use allowed
** On-campus use only
*** Library use only
To be reasonably assured of the availability of the instructional media you will need, please reserve well in advance. Reservations may be placed by email, phone or in person at the library. To ensure maximum usage, equipment should be reserved for the period of time that you actually intend to use it. If you have reserved equipment and decide you no longer need it, contact the library so it can be made available for another person.
POLICY and LOAN PERIOD – ALL INSTRUCTIONAL MEDIA EXCLUDING cameras and laptop computers:
*All instructional media, excluding camers, may be signed out for the day. Anything signed out must be returned to the library 15 minutes prior to closing, the same day it was signed out. You will be subject to fines if the item is returned overdue.
A faculty member must sign out all instructional media not identified for student circulation. If a student needs to use the non-student circulating equipment for any purpose, a faculty representative must sign it out in his/her name. The faculty member takes responsibility for the equipment, just as if it were in his/her own possession. Please make it clear to any student that both of you are responsible for the equipment’s safe and prompt return.
POLICY and LOAN PERIOD - DIGITAL CAMERAS (still and video)
* 1 day (24 hours) – Digital cameras may be signed-out and returned the following day no later than 15 minutes prior to the close of the library. You will be subject to fines if a digital camera is returned overdue.
Digital camera loan applies for student and faculty.
POLICY and LOAN PERIOD - LAPTOP COMPUTERS
* All laptops may be signed out for the day. Any laptop signed out must be returned to the library 15 minutes prior to closing the same day it was signed out. - Laptop computer borrowing and use should be limited to tasks related to the educational, research and administrative objectives of Pennsylvania College of Art & Design's Statement of Educational Philosophy. Laptops may be used in agreement with and adherence to the Laptop Computer Circulation Policy and Pennsylvania College of Art & Design's Information System Policy as presented in the College's handbook.
Your use of the laptop constitutes your agreement to be bound by the following:
All laptops MUST be returned to the library at least fifteen minutes prior to the close of the library even if it was signed out at the end of the day. Out of respect for the needs of other users, we ask that you abide by the loan period; however, exceptions may be made on an individual basis for extended periods of time through the library director. Any "special" arrangements shall become the exception, not the rule. These arrangements should be made PRIOR to signing out the laptop. Laptop use is intended to support the curriculum and instructional needs in the classroom, NOT as a replacement for an individual's personal computer.
Late fees are $3.00 an hour. There is no grace period. If a laptop is 24 hours overdue, it will be determined to be lost and a replacement fee of up to $4,000 will be billed to the borrower’s account, in addition to any fines and processing charges. If the laptop is returned in good condition, the replacement fee will be forgiven. The fines and processing fees WILL NOT be forgiven.
Only PCA&D faculty and staff may check out a laptop to use outside of the library, with a valid PCA&D ID. Only in emergency situations may a student use a laptop outside of the library. Each situation shall be reviewed by the library director on an individual basis to determine the need and availability of a laptop for student use. If it is deemed necessary for a student to use a laptop outside of the library, a faculty representative must sign it out in his/her name. The faculty member takes responsibility for the laptop, just as if it were in his/her possession. All needs by the faculty for classroom instruction take precedence over use by a student.
PCA&D Students may check out a laptop for library use only.
Files may be saved to the personal data storage device of your choice. To ensure your privacy, remove all files stored on the PCA&D laptop before returning it. The library staff is not responsible for any files remaining on the computer once it is returned to the library. All personal files on the PCA&D laptop will be routinely deleted.
If there are any problems with the laptop (or other instructional media) while it is being used, please call the IT Helpline at x1004.
Never leave a laptop unattended. Borrowers are responsible for any damaged, lost or stolen laptops.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONAL MEDIA INFORMATION
- Battery chargers DO NOT leave the library. If an item needs to be charged, it must be returned to the library for charging. In some instances, a replacement battery may be available.
- Return all equipment to the circulation desk and make sure the attending librarian is aware of its return.
- Adjustments can be made for use after library hours. Please see the library director for these special circumstances.
- In the case of all equipment, please confirm all contents are included before returning. Equipment WILL NOT be checked in until all contents are received. Fines will incur if the item becomes overdue before all parts are returned.
- For all digital cameras, empty the memory before returning.
- Equipment should never be left unattended; you assume financial responsibility as the borrower.
Return to top
Library website updated September 2012