Mixed-Media Art Making: Building Surfaces
WS 187-02 :
non-credit – in person
- Dates: March 5
- Times: 6:15 – 9:15 PM
- Meetings: 1
- Days: Tuesday
- Instructor: M.W. Dugger
14 in stock
This workshop is a beginning level introduction to exploring mixed-media elements in artworks with an emphasis on surface building with artist M.W. Dugger. Together we will explore the history of mixed media art making and explore narrative and storytelling through various mark making as well as photo transfers, layering, and composition.
Surface building includes layering, scratching into, sanding back, and other methods of creating texture and depth. In addition, we will discuss archival techniques and also exhibition and display considerations. Each student will walk away from the class with at least three pieces of work. Additionally, you will leave this class with an understanding of how to use image transfers and techniques to build surfaces for future artworks.
Image by M.W. Dugger
This course must meet minimum enrollment by February 24 in order to run. Register today!
- 140# Hot press watercolor paper (10) sheets 9 x 12 sized -Hobby Lobby, Masters Touch pad of this paper $8.99
- 8.5” x 11” section of newspaper or periodical on paper print
- 4” x 4” piece of fabric
- 1 drawing pencil
- 1 Watercolor set -Hobby Lobby, Master’s Touch Watercolor Paints – 24 Piece Set includes brush $6.49
- 1 black and white picture printed on 8.5” x 11 (You will be asked to email your image to firstname.lastname@example.org upon registration. This image will be printed and ready for you in class)
- 1 color image picture on 8.5” x 11 (You will be asked to email your image to email@example.com upon registration. This image will be printed and ready for you in class)
- 1 piece of 220 grit sand paper
- 1 blue sponge with scrubber pad on back
- Anything else you may want to bring in order to experiment.