Summer Session 2: Introduction to Oil Painting
HS 40 :
.5 credit – in person
- Dates: July 31 – August 4
- Times: 6 – 9 PM
- Meetings: 5
- Days: Monday – Friday
- Instructor: Leah Limpert Walt
16 in stock
This painting course introduces students in grades 9-12 to the medium of oil painting in a direct observation application (painting what we see). Color mixing and theory, accurate underpainting, materials, observational techniques and paint handling techniques will all be demonstrated and applied to the lessons. Students should also expect to gain knowledge on the medium’s history, pigments, and safe practices. This class is an excellent introduction to this medium,
This is a credit-bearing class and grades will be given. Please check the supply list tab for materials needed to complete this class.
This class must meet minimum enrollment by July 24 in order to run. Register today!
- At least 5 gessoed canvases, gessoed panels, gessoed watercolor paper (3 coats on the front, three x’s on the back), oil paper, or canvas paper. No smaller than 11”x14” no larger than 18”x24.” You will only need one for the first night of class.
- 18”x24” Drawing board & artist’s tape (if you’re working on paper)
- Palette paper, wooden palette, or glass palette
- Metal palette knife
- Assortment of brushes
- Two glass or metal jars with lids
- Walnut or linseed oil
- Citrus solvents (optional)
- Oil Paints in the following colors: Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Naphol Red, Cadmium Yellow Light, Yellow Ochre, Titanium White, Ivory Black, Raw Umber