BFA Degree Program
Live Experience Design
The BFA in Live Experience Design at PCA&D strikes a balance between theory and practice, preparing students to be creative, contemplative problem-solvers and experience designers. Through teamwork and mentorship, Live Experience Design students will acquire firsthand experience, knowledge of the industry, and concrete skills they can carry with them into a wide range of professional practices after graduation.
The BFA in Live Experience Design is separated into two concentrations: live performance and curated experiences. Beginning in their junior year, in consultation with intra- and interdepartmental advisors, students will craft a tailored course of study that aligns with their specific area of emphasis. The live performance track focuses on the acquisition of skills necessary for creating environments for a variety of live performances and entertainment (such as stage shows; live music, theater, dance; television, film, and online entertainment, etc.), such as advanced scenography, sculpture/3D design, lighting design, and animation. The curated environments track emphasizes the acquisition of skills necessary for creating curated environments and immersive experiences (museum/gallery exhibits; education or healthcare environments; themed restaurant/hotel spaces; immersive art installations, etc.), such as lighting design, soundscapes, interior design, video production, and immersive media.
Students who successfully complete the program will...
- Develop a deeper understanding of human experience as it relates to environments through design history and theory, psychology, and aesthetics
- Formulate and apply concepts to their work via formal expression, conceptual development, and contextual dialogue
- Formulate and apply critical analysis to their work and the work of others while benefiting from collaboration among disciplines
- Demonstrate the ability to create accessible and ethical experiences within the context of community, cultural, and professional expectations
- Demonstrate a range of the latest innovation and technological skills necessary for employment in the experience design industry
- Engage in the business and practical realities of the field, understand and employ appropriate trends and standards, and develop a body of work relevant to acquiring work in their chosen industry