Center for Creative Exploration’s Fall lineup of classes, workshops, makes the most of the season
Saturday, September 30th, 2023
With the advent of autumn and back-to-school routines, PCA&D’s Center for Creative Exploration (CCE) has designed a program of both classes and short-term workshops that cater to opportunities for learning within busy schedules. Also highlighted: offerings that mark landmark anniversaries such as the 50th anniversary of Hip-Hop music; Hispanic Heritage Month; and fall-themed classes that bring creativity to the season.
“When we began to plan our fall session, we were really excited to tap into fall themes and events like Hispanic Heritage Month and Lancaster Fall ArtWalk,” says Natalie Lascek, CCE’s Executive Director. “We always try to dialogue with our faculty about what’s on their mind and what they are most interested in sharing, like Gelli plate printmaking or the history of the elements of Hip-Hop to continue the 50th-anniversary celebration.
‘We also take past student feedback seriously and try to meet requests like more mosaic classes or black and white film photography. It’s always amazing to see how a session evolves and this is definitely one to not miss!”
That attention to timely offerings means highlights such as:
- History of the Elements of Hip-Hop Ages 13-Adult, with Sir Dominique Jordan;
- Intergenerational Studio: Paint and Jam-Salsa Music, and Exploring Puerto Rico — Culture and Craft: Grades 3-5, both with Kathy Rodriguez;
- Intergenerational Studio: Halloween Mosaic Ages 12-Adult, with Aya Kinoshita
- Fall Inspired Gelli Plate Printmaking Workshop: Grades 7-10, with Nichole Madonna; and
- Fall Into Art and Fall Landscapes, both for Grades 1-5 with Stephanie Mowery
CCE also is taking advantage of our PCA&D-York location to offer three classes and workshops to creatives on the other side of the Susquehanna River:
- Art Support: Mural Making 101 Workshop, with Salina Almanzar-Oree, on Dec. 3, which covers the basics of murals from ideation to dedication of the finished product;
- Botanical Watercolor Illustration Workshop, with Megan Elaine Wirick, on Oct. 28, working with live plant specimens;
- Writing for Performance with House of Poetry, with Sir Dominique Jordan, on Oct. 20, a guided writing workshop followed by an open mic; and
- Intro to Zine Making Workshop, with Rachel Yinger, on Oct. 7, outlining the process for making one of these small, self-published books on any topic of your choice.
Says Lascek: “It has also been exciting to plan another slate of fall engagement at the College’s PCA&D-York space. We were deeply inspired by the continuation of the Arte de La Borinqueña exhibition and the recent York Mural Festival.
“We are offering workshops that focus on the cross-section of visual and literary arts in the form of zines, writing for performance with our community partner Sir Dominique Jordan who hosts House of Poetry, and a fantastic mural-making 101 workshop for artists led by our own Salina Almanzar-Oree. There are also other classes and events we’ve pulled together into our PCA&D-York landing page, so check it out for current and future information.”
Top photo: Sir Dominique Jordan, House of Poetry, York