Recent accomplishments in the PCA&D community
. . .
Monday, April 3rd, 2023
- Congratulations to the 13 Fine Art and Photography & Video seniors who this month deliver Senior Presentations to the full College: Cassie Carver-Peters, Alexia Eggleston, Parker Galen, Emily Hornberger, Olivia Koziel, Emily Moyer, Cheyenne Nycz, Rachel O’Brien, Kelsie Reimer, Moselyn Sandy, Mark Shyshkovskyy, Faith Stiffey, and Sabrina Worthington.
- Tenderness, a project by Henry Gepfer (Adjunct Professor, Fine Art) will screen this month as part of Cannibals of Love, an exhibition about love and romance opening April 1 at Ejecta Projects, Carlisle, Pa. Gepfer also recently was a guest on the podcast Hello, Print Friend, speaking about performance art and how printmaking fits into that aspect of his creativity.
- Soft Sentiments, an exhibition of work by Alivia Haltom ’24, Fine Art, and curated by Kayla Smith ’24, Fine Art, opens in the student-run CORE Gallery at 4 pm on April 7 for First Friday and will be on display through Aug. 11.
- Lucas Korte (Adjunct Professor, Graphic Design / Illustration) was the lead illustrator on Shadowdark, a role-playing game that has raised nearly a million dollars on Kickstarter. Forbes, which ran a story on Shadowdark featuring Korte’s illustrations, says the rules set illustrated by Korte has “been informed by design ideas in the nearly five decades since D&D began.” Digital fulfillment of Shadowdark is expected to begin this month, with physical books expected to reach backers in July.
- Kaitlyn McCulley ’21, Illustration, is a finalist in The Art of Racing, a nationwide competition to capture Preakness thoroughbred horse racing in 2D art. A winner will be announced April 11. “With this piece,” McCulley wrote in her statement, “I hoped to capture the drama and exhilaration of a battle down to the wire, something the Preakness has produced many times in its history of running. The addition of the iconic Black-eyed Susan accentuates the action and pays tribute to Maryland’s most thrilling race.” McCulley’s rendition of a brilliantly colored peacock was the cover of PCA&D’s New Year’s greeting card this year and her work also branded the 2021 Senior Show & Celebration.
- Work by four seniors in Tom Newmaster’s Packaging Design Studio class — Paige Alana Bowermaster, Tyler Handa, Frankie Reed, and Alexander Serna— recently was highlighted in an edition of Dieline, a creative platform that serves the packaging community. As part of a class project, the four were charged with redesigning the packaging for four nationally known brands, and their results were impressive: The students’ redesigns, if implemented, would result in increased sales of $60 million for those brands. “Most art schools give assignments that are pretty pie-in-the-sky,” Newmaster told Dieline. “Good instructors make them flex their muscles in other ways.” Go here to watch a video featuring Newmaster, of FORCEpkg, and Graphic Design Chair Pam Barby.
- Work by Samantha Sanders ’16 was featured in Sustainable Studios, an exhibition and workshop series held at Eckert Art Gallery, Millersville. Sanders’ practice of making her own ink from sources such as walnuts and goldenrod is in keeping with her works that highlight the natural world. “I like that I’m taking a piece of the natural world, and it’s infused in everything I’m doing…” she told LNP/LancasterOnline. Read the full article here.
- Essential Connection was on display in the student-run CORE Gallery through March. Juried by Kayla Smith ’25, Fine Art, Essential Connection explores the connection between humans and nature. Featured is the work of Allie Bretz ’26, Krista Canoles ’25, Katie Hess ’25, Alexis Howe ’24, Rachel Rae ’23, RJ Scott ’25, Alexander Smith ’24, Sherrie Snyder ’24, Kelby Weaver, 24, and Taj Younger’25.
Share this article with a friend
TAGS : Alexander Serna, Alexander Smith, Alexia Eggleston, Alexis Howe, Alivia Haltom, Allie Bretz, Cassie Carver-Peters, Cheyenne Nycz, Emily Hornberger, Emkly Moyer, Faith Stiffey, Frankie Reed, Henry Gepfer, Kaitlyn McCulley, Katie Hess, Kayla Smith, Kelby Weaver, Kelsie Reimer, Krista Canoles, Lucas Korte, Mark Shyshkovskyy, Moselyn Sandy, Olivia Koziel, Paige Alana Bowermaster, Parker Galen, Rachel O'Brien, RJ Scott, Sabrina Worthington, Samantha Sanders, Sherrie Snyder, Taj Younger, Tyler Handa